5 Types Of Men Who Make Great Husbands

BY: - 7 Mar '12 | Best of BMWK

Photo Credit: Katrina Brown

by Charli Penn-Watkins

In my line of work, I meet a lot of great husbands and the wives who adore them. Over time, it’s not hard to pick up on a pattern among these men “” especially when I chat with other wives about why they chose the men they’ve married and what qualities in their husbands have most shaped their marriage. For all those single women out there who often wonder what type of man they should marry, or how they will know if he’s The One they’re meant to spend forever with, this list is 100-percent for you. It has been prepared with love and careful consideration. It’s based on my own personal experience as a wife, those of the many wives I’ve encountered throughout my career as a Weddings and Relationships Editor, and the observations I’ve made about the great husbands I’ve met or bumped into over the years. It doesn’t have all the answers, but I promise you, it will at least have some of those you seek. Read on, ladies.

THE PROVIDER

He puts family first, always. He’s a selfless man, who lives to please those he cares most about. He’s the kind of man who can work two jobs in his sleep, always has a side-hustle in mind to earn more money, and guards his savings with his life. He can’t rest until he knows the ones he loves are okay. He strives for perfection at home and in the office. Work life balance is very important to him, but if missing time with his loved ones means a better life for them, he’s always game to put in the overtime and take one for the team. Words like “no,” “can’t,” and “impossible,” are just not in his vocabulary, and when he hears others use them, it only increases his devotion to the task at hand.

Why He Makes a Good Husband: Marriage is the start of a new family; your family. You will both want to provide for the family you create together, and it’s imperative that you’re partners with the same goal in mind. That said, there will be times when one person cannot do as much as the marriage or family requires ““ such is life. Marrying a natural born provider will be a huge plus when the scales in your marriage tip, as they inevitably will at different points along the way.

THE ROCK

At your weakest moments, his strength keeps you stable and inspires you to push through. He isn’t immune to pain or frustration, but he does handle it well, and he knows how to pull himself out low places. He’s the kind of man who never misses your call when he knows you need to get something off your chest, or better, just a friend to be there for you. Speaking of chests, his is always there for you to lean on, squeeze, and find comfort in when it feels like only a hug will do.

Why He Makes a Good Husband: He’s loyal, devoted, and a true pillar in the world of the woman he loves. This is the perfect recipe for a loving husband that you can count on through thick and thin; what woman doesn’t dream of marrying one of those?

THE CRITICAL THINKER

There isn’t a problem, big or small, that he isn’t itching to solve. He’s a quick, solid, thinker, who hates to be backed into a corner. He doesn’t just see the problem in front of him; he sees a roadmap of the many solutions available to him and takes his time as he determines the best way to get there, or the course of action he must take. He is patient, because he has to be “” rushing things is rarely the answer and he knows this. He’s diligent, focused, and considers himself a mental Olympian of sorts.

Why He Makes a Good Husband: Marriage is truly beautiful, but it comes with its share of problems, and its rough patches. Happier times aren’t always just around the bend “” getting there may require a detailed plan and thinking smarter not harder. He will make a great team player during the moments where the only way to win is to work together, and trust me, those moments can and will arise in marriage.

Read the other three “types” of guys who make great husbands at Man, Wife and Dog blog.

Charli Penn-Watkins is the blogger behind Man, Wife & Dog. A newlywed that’s blogging her way through all the ups and downs of marriage, Charli is also the relationships editor on Essence.com. Check her out on Twitter at @ManWifeDog.

BMWK Staff wrote 898 articles on this blog.

Content and articles from the staff and guest contributors of BlackandMarriedWithKids.com

25 WordPress comments on “5 Types Of Men Who Make Great Husbands

1. Colabena

I agree. Thanks for putting this in words we can all see and save. Many young girls & grown women need to see this.

2. Beth

This is SO ACCURATE. My Husband  has all of these characteristics and I thank the Lord for him. I am truly Blessed to have been with him 25 years, and as my Father used to say  “Good Lord Willin N The Creek Don’t Rise”, we’ll see 25 more. Love you hun!

I’m thankful for a husband who is all of these things and more. I always jokingly call him a Renaissance Man because there are few things he cannot do – and if he discovers one, it won’t be one for long because he’s going to figure it out!

Thank you for reminding me to focus on what’s great about the man that God has blessed me with.

4. Gee Renee

Thank you God for blessing me with Levi Barcourt, a husband who posses all 5 traits AND is also an amazing father & pianist.

5. Dale J. Rodriguez

This article was really good confirmation for me. I have been making a lot of positive changes in my life as far as women are concerned, and after reading this, I realize I am a combination of all 5. I just did not know what I had when I was ignorant. I am still a Work in Progress.

6. Sandra

Well said!! What attracted me to my husband was his character. I looked at him and knew that he would have well behaved children. We have 6 great children. I was told that the man is 60% of the make up of the child. So I chose wisely and we have been married for 25 years.

7. No Name

I thought I was one of the lucky one’s, When I married. He was the perfect provider,protector and I guess under all that I never really paid attention to the drug abuse. We dated for 2yrs but, didn’t starting living 2gether until 6mo before the wedding. So,now divorced for 2yrs. I’m still keeping my fingers crossed to one day meet Mr. Right.

8. Willie Holyfield

Are these 5 types of husbands the “spiritual” head of the homes, presenting their family to the Lord (Jesus Christ) everyday, and is the Lord Jesus Christ the head of the husband?

9. MelodyRenee

All of these qualities are great, but it says nothing of the heart. I would like to see what spirtiual qualities we should look for in a man. That is a man my heart desires. I had a man with most of these traits and he was argumentative, full of strife, and anger, and had a lot of anger towards almost all of his ex girlfriends. I had to walk on eggshells too when talking to him, because he found something wrong with nearly EVERYTHING that wh said. He knew how to make money and he was a great thinker. He just did not have the kind of heart that a woman need.

10. Pingback: Did You Have a List for the Type of Mate You Wanted, And Does Your Spouse Match It? | Black and Married With Kids.com - A Positive Image of Marriage and Family

11. Blog

I’m curious to find out what blog system you happen to be utilizing?
    I’m having some small security issues with my latest blog and I’d like
    to find something more safe. Do you have any suggestions?

12. Strona internetowa

Aw, this was an exceptionally nice post. Taking a few minutes and actual
    effort to generate a top notch article… but what can I
    say… I put things off a lot and don’t manage to get anything done.

13. Pennie Savoy

Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue with your website in web explorer, would test this¡K IE still
    is the market leader and a huge element of people will pass
    over your excellent writing due to this
    problem.

14. www

Superb overcom! I must apprentice all at once as you amend your web site, exactly how may possibly i sign up to to get a web site web page? This account made it easier for me a adequate deal. I have been previously little familiarised of the your transmit given vivid transparent strategy

I didn’t realize how special my husband was until reading this. He’s a true provider. Always puts his fAmily first.