20 Questions To Ask A Potential Spouse

BY: - 5 Apr '12 | Best of BMWK

TNMCoupleDateNature

Now that I have a daughter, I can see myself questioning her male friends when they come to the house to date her. When I was a teenager, I didn’t like it when my dad and brothers did it, and I am sure my daughter will be embarrassed when her father and I subject her dates to similar scrutiny. But 20 questions shouldn’t end once she matures into adulthood and can date whomever she chooses. As my single friends testify, “You have to be careful these days because there is so much stuff going around.” And this isn’t just from a woman’s perspective. Men need to be careful too. Asking 20 questions doesn’t sound so weird or embarrassing when your health, sanity, and livelihood are at stake.

So, here are 20 questions to ask a potential spouse. These are just suggestions, and by no means should all of them be asked on a first date. If a question doesn’t feel right to you, then don’t ask it. Or, just replace it with one that is not on the list. The point is to get singles who desire to be married to think carefully about what’s important to them and then to have open communication about these issues before marriage. There are plenty of married and divorced people who wish they had asked the tough questions before saying “I do.”

20 Questions

1. Do you have any life-threatening or incurable diseases?

2. Do you have any children? If so, how integral are they in your life?

3. What are your short term and long term goals?

4. What does financial stability mean to you?

5. What is your relationship like with your parents?

6. How often do you go to church, pray, read your Bible?

7. What gives you joy in life?

8. Do you have a criminal history or record?

9. Do you date men or women exclusively?

10. How many sexual partners have you had?

Dr. Michelle Johnson wrote 75 articles on this blog.

Dr. Michelle Johnson is the founder of Alabaster Woman Ministries, an online international women's ministry. She is a wife, mother, writer, speaker, teacher. Through her daily blog, online radio show, and video Bible studies, Dr. Michelle encourages women and married couples to make God the center of their lives.

44 WordPress comments on “20 Questions To Ask A Potential Spouse

1. Rashida

What kind of relationship u have with God?   It is sometimes when things are going good or bad, or is it all the time like he is sitting right next to you, or never?

How do you feel about waiting to have sex after marriage?

how do you feel about not moving in until marriage?

If you can talk to the person they were involved with before you would give some insight to some important issues as well.

2. Tessaberry

These questions r great but meaningless if the answerer is dishonest outright or dishonest simply Bc they don’t know who they really are.

3. nic

@tessaberry while it’s true that people can lie about the answers, it can’t hurt to ask. I always tell my younger relatives to make a note of important information about potential mates. Then, periodically refer to it to
    see if what they say matches their behavior. I know it seems strange but I keep a journal about myself and review it to give myself a reality check. Why would i do less for a potential mate?

Also, i find that liars often out themselves.

4. Kendra Armstrong

Are you saved/a christian? Can you define your meaning of Salvation?
    Is so many people dont understand the meaning. Also, its so many being taught that being saved is just water baptism. Thats what I hear alot from guys that ask me out. And…. Thats not what that means. So.. Just be sure your on the same page spiritual.

5. Rickey E. Macklin

Great Questions and Additions :-) I’ll have to incorporate some of these in my Courtship Class!

6. Ef

These are great questions! A person’s response to some of these could give you clues to their character. When I met a man that I thought I would marry a few years ago, I asked a few questions as well (see below). In addition to the tough questions, I think that it’s equally as important to ask some of the questions that emerge naturally. Staying curious about the person you are dating will help you to learn more about them and cause you to probe even when they respond to your questions so you can really get to know them.

Potential Questions:

– What are your priorities right now and how might they impact our relationship?
    -How do you measure success?
    -How have your past relationships, books, experiences etc informed your perspective on relationships and marriage?

7. DONNA LYNN

WHAT ABOUT… DOES HE TAKE CARE OF HIS FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES,
    HOW MUCH DOES HE WATCH T.V. AND WHAT DOES HE WATCH, DOES HE LIKE TO GO CAMPING, DANCING, DINER, FISHING, TENNIS, ETC. OR IS HE A COUCH POTATO. REAL QUESTIONS! IS HE FRIENDLY AND SOCIAL..HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH HIS PARENTS….DOES HE HAVE A.D.D.A, AND ON MEDS,
    IS HE SEEM NARCISSTIC OR DEPRESSED. ASK HARD FOUNDATION QUESTION FOR ANY POSSIBLITY TO BE WITH THIS MAN. ALSO, ANY MAJER HEALTH ISSUES.

8. Pingback: Money Monday: Would You Dump Someone With A Bad Credit Score | Black and Married With Kids.com - A Positive Image of Marriage and Family

9. Superwife

The questions are all good – but they don’t mean anything at all when it comes to being married. A person’s answers can be made up, embellished, what they hope to achieve, etc. Reading a bible and not obeying it means pain and sorrow for the spouse (how many cheating pastors are there?). You can have money today – get fired or sick and be broke tomorrow. Yes – asking the questions has one good benefit – it will keep you talking and hopefully learning about the other person…but you can’t tell me that a positive answer to each question means that the relationship or marriage will be a positive experience. There is no cause and effect connection here. And quite frankly – thinking there is is how many people end up making an error. Character, integrity, ethics and morals as demonstrated by lifestyle choices and actual behaviors are better indicators of possible compatibility.

10. Nathan

yes, the person can make up answers, but as the relationship progresses, their lifestyle will reveal the true person, so keep your eyes open. Another question I found I have to ask is “how close are you to your male friends?” One girl I dated spent more time with her male “friend” than she did me. Found out later, I was the side dude……

Be careful, these questions may cause a person to lie as some truths are hard to share. Some of these questions van be answered with a range, and where they are now is more important than their past!what did the past teach you.

12. lustige videos

I have been exploring for a bit for any high-quality articles
    or weblog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web
    site. Reading this information So i’m satisfied to show
    that I’ve an incredibly excellent uncanny feeling I discovered exactly what I needed.
    I such a lot certainly will make sure to do not forget this
    web site and provides it a glance regularly.

13. Perishable Broker

Apple sold 7.13 million Apple notebooks. Commodities usually come out of the earth
    and usually maintain a universal price. We each one is aware
    that Stock publication rack a most enjoyable place.

14. best home teeth whitening 2013

Have you ever considered creating an ebook or
    guest authoring on other websites? I have a blog based on the
    same subjects you discuss and would love to have you share some stories/information.
    I know my viewers would value your work. If you’re
    even remotely interested, feel free to shoot me an e mail.

15. Isiah

With just having few week exercise there is a much great
    improvement in one. For patients suffering from pain, optimum exercise and physical therapy may help to overcome
    the problem of spasticity and muscle contraction. A really important piece of information that you must know and be aware off is the need to control your body
    temperature as much as you can.

my blog diabetes cure (Isiah)

16. voler un compte snapchat

One of the tools to accomplish this cyber assault is called a RAT which is a form
    of malware, and it’s predicted that this tool will be used
    even more (among others) to invade government and
    private company networks. According to Gibson, users can delete their Snapchat account but “this won’t remove your phone number from the already circulating leaked database. The Android app did have a prior bug, in which it stored versions of unwatched videos in the Android Gallery, but that bug was fixed earlier this month.
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

17. Oxygenius Cream

I do not know whether it’s just me or if everyone else encountering issues with your website.
    It appears as if some of the text within your content are running off the screen. Can someone
    else please comment and let me know if this is happening to
    them too? This might be a problem with my web browser
    because I’ve had this happen before. Cheers
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

18. Wilma

Our influence, our witness position might make a
    difference in ways that cannot be appreciated at the
    time or on this side of the veil, but is important nonetheless.
    Unlike any other process it is devoid of pain to a great extent.
    When you go to the ski resort they load the bike
    on the lift and carry you and it up the mountain.
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

19. cleanse catalyst plus

I’m curious to find out what blog system you happen to be working with?
    I’m having some minor security problems with my latest blog and I’d like to find something more
    safe. Do you have any solutions?
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

20. Alpha Recovery Muscle

I don’t even know the way I stopped up here, however I assumed this
    submit used to be good. I do not recognize who
    you’re however definitely you’re going to a famous blogger in the event you are
    not already. Cheers!
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

21. luxoderm info

Great blog right here! Additionally your web site a lot up very fast!
    What web host are you the usage of? Can I am getting your
    affiliate link for your host? I desire my website loaded up as fast as yours lol
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

22. las vegas car accidents

Your lawyer can help you seek justice in the following ways:.
    He must be well respected in the legal profession an upstanding, honest and
    fair man. Service provision and safeguard could also be
    extra leads in many circumstances.
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

23. Motivation

The manager plays a very important role in successful employee motivation.
    Nothing gets people more nvolved then stirring
    their interest by offering them a perspective they have nott considered before.
    Get to know more music teachers resources, isit this music teacher’s
    website.
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

24. www.youtube.com

But there can be issues with these locks and keys
    also. Try to learn ass mucch as yyou can and display each of your services.

Majorityof the people don’t even think about locksmiths until there is an emergency ofsome sort.

Here is my webpage – http://www.youtube.com
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

25. pinterest.com

Duct record, a pair of scissors that is efficient
    enough to trim down the fabric, an older T-shirt that can be slash, a permanent marker,
    liner textile etc. You can be amazed too find which corset wedding ceremony attire right
    now come in a variety of components, by ssoft silk along
    with satin so that youu can sometimes velvety. Now if like many apple shaped wome you feel your bust still needs
    a little more help, wear the corset over a ruffled shirt, the ruffles of the shirt around your bust will crreate an illusion of a larger bust.

my page … pinterest.com
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93

26. superior muscle x bodybuilding

Very great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished
    to say that I have really loved browsing your blog posts.

After all I’ll be subscribing for your rss feed and I hope you write again soon!
    e3f4fa0f65b1c307f9a1cf067b5f9c93