BY: - 22 Oct '12 | Marriage

TDJ1

During a business meeting today in regards to my husband’s recent death, I was stunned by the comment that a stranger directed at me. Through eyes glistening with tears, she said, “My heart aches for you and I’m so moved by your grace during this difficult time. It’s obvious that you are sad and grieving, but your composure is amazing.” Hmmm. I’ve heard a variation of this a few times over the last 26 days from family and friends, but hearing it from a stranger gave me pause. I can hear my husband’s voice in my ear, as if he were still lying beside me in our bed. “Girl, you’re one of the strongest people I’ve ever known. You don’t see it, but everybody else does.” Ironically, one of MrTDJ’s favorite Whitney Houston songs was, “I Didn’t Know My Own Strength”. That’s one of the songs that has been on repeat over the last couple of weeks.

I’ve been on an emotional rollercoaster that seems surreal and dizzying most days, but I suppose my internal struggles aren’t visible to the world. I feel as if my heart has been shattered into a trillion pieces and there’s no such repair kit available. I’ve always heard the term that everyone grieves differently, and now I actually understand what that means. As the minutes, hours, days and weeks begin to pass, the loss of my life partner has actually gotten harder. Since I’m an event planner by trade, my brain outvoted my heart and I put on my business hat to make it through the moments and days right after his death. I’ve not really allowed my deepest emotions to show because it’s been easier to focus on the “to do” actions.

Our love was strong, flaws and all. There are moments when I simply crave the perfect imperfections of my life prior to June 9. Allow me a few minutes to talk about my dear MrTDJ. Often in death, the deceased is unintentionally canonized into a model of perfection. Um, no. Not gonna happen here. No one walking this earth lives as such and I don’t seek any such illusions for my husband. My statement isn’t meant to color him in a negative light, rather to say that he was as imperfect a creature as any of us.

BMWK Staff wrote 912 articles on this blog.

Content and articles from the staff and guest contributors of BlackandMarriedWithKids.com

42 WordPress comments on “The Intersection of Grace and Grief: How Grieving for My Husband Is a Daily Struggle

1. Niambi

I’m so sorry for your loss. May God give you strength and comfort during this time. Thank you for sharing your beautiful love story and family with us. God bless you.

2. Jacqulyne

Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony on the journey of life and love. May God bless and comfort you and your family during this most difficult time. May God be pleased with the life of your dear husband. May He bless you to fill the seemingly empty moments with great memories. May He bless you to endure and overcome knowing that God is always with you.

3. Monique

Mrs.TDJ, your story filled my heart. I send my most earnest prayers to you.I pray that God will give you comfort for your heart,and peace in your mind.Thank you for Your courage in sharing your story. It reminds me how precious every moment is.Im sending you all my sister love.

1. MrsTDJ

Aww, thanks Monique! “Courage” is not a word I normally associate with myself, but I’m adjusting. The sisterly love is appreciated.

4. Samantha

Such a beautiful story. I will make sure to share those sentiments with my loving partner today and someone I have not spoken to in a while.

5. Kimberly

loved ur blog.,loved ur heart and ur willingness to share it with us. I’m from Virginia too..in fact, we were football “rivals” – west Potomac!! Keep ur faith and keep loving God!!

6. Mrs.B

Your words reeled me and tears abound both for sadness for your loss & joy that two people shared such amazing journey….Your story brought laughter and smiles but the underlying messages were many. Such as love like there is no tomorrow, encourage each other to grow beyond their imagination & laugh through it all…lt was as though I knew you both and witnessed your love. What an encouraging story to love without limits….Many prayers to you and your loved ones…be well.

7. Pingback: I’m Guest Posting at Black and Married with Kids | Just Another Day with MrsTDJ

8. Sunny

It made me tear up the first time I read her story, and again just now. MrsTDJ is truly a beautiful person and a fabulous writer. I am continuing to pray for her strength.

9. HimzNaNa

I witness your grief and strength daily and hope that you sharing your story will be a healing for you, as well others.

10. Quiana

Stopping by to re-read this again from your blog. This is such a beautiful piece and I am so glad we were able to meet in person. I continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Your story is an important one to share for the BMWK family.

11. Des @StressFreeBaby

I love your story of love and send you hugs and strength. I personally believe when people we love die they become like little angels on our shoulders, whispering to us bits of wisdom and encouragement the rest of our lives…and sometimes tripping the people who are mean to us along the way. :)

1. MrsTDJ

Thanks Des!! I love the way you think of the departed. And, I know that my husband is still the class clown and helping to gently push a few of the meanies.

12. Seamona Stewart

Hello your post is both inspiring and touching. You and I are walking a similar walk I lost both my husband and my 4 year old son on June 19th 2012 in a fire . I know the pain you speak of in all the words you wrote ring true to me everyday. My husband I also got together while young we would have celebrated 20 years together in December 2012. Now I find myself 9 months pregnant with our second child, and longing for my husband and my son daily. Like you I’m determined to hold my head high and to keep moving forward. My gentle giant would have expected nothing less

1. MrsTDJ

Sending you the tightest, most genuine and heartfelt hug that I can muster. If you’d ever like an ear to listen to your words, screams or cries, please let me know. Although we are strangers, the unity that such a tragedy evokes is universal and our pain is unique. tayadj@gmail.com

13. Kenya

Thank You for sharing your story. You are truly an inspiration! Please continue sharing your story and you will continue to touch and change lives/marriages. May God bless you and your beautiful little boy!!

14. Mrs. Jones

My heart goes out to you for your loss. I competely understand when you truly love someone and then lose them, it’s a unspeakable pain, but God will give you the strength to keep going for you and your child, stay strong and in constant prayer.

15. Margarita Henry

I took a few minutes this morning to read your story, and it was a sad and at the same time inspiring. You are a true demonstration of God’s strength in your weakest season. May God continue to bless you as you walk out a life journey without your partner. He is with you ALWAYS!!!

This journey has forever changed your life, but will also change many going through similar loss. God bless you and your son!!!!

16. Nichelle Jones

Thanks for sharing! Your history reminds me of my husband and I. May the grace and peace of God continue to be with you.