Jada Pinkett-Smith Takes To Facebook To Defend Daughter’s Choice

BY: - 28 Nov '12 | On the Web

WillowSmith400

Willow Smith started out whipping her hair back and forth, but as of February began wearing a much shorter, buzz cut. Ever since, the 12-year-old’s bold choice has been a source of controversy and after months of criticism from the media and parents alike, Jada Pinkett-Smith has come forth to defend her daughter’s right to wear her hair as she pleases.

In Pinkett-Smith’s Facebook post, she writes:

The question why I would LET Willow cut her hair. First the LET must be challenged. This is a world where women, girls are constantly reminded that they don’t belong to themselves; that their bodies are not their own, nor their power or self determination. I made a promise to endow my little girl with the power to always know that her body, spirit and her mind are HER domain. Willow cut her hair because her beauty, her value, her worth is not measured by the length of her hair. It’s also a statement that claims that even little girls have the RIGHT to own themselves and should not be a slave to even their mother’s deepest insecurities, hopes and desires. Even little girls should not be a slave to the preconceived ideas of what a culture believes a little girl should be.

Despite earlier questioning of Will and Jada’s parenting, many are in agreement with what she had to say. Two popular sites in particular, The Frisky and Clutch Magazine, showed support for mom’s response. Though she is considered fashion forward for her age, Willow also faced criticism for the outfit she wore in her video, I Am Me, a song which asks for acceptance of who she is.

While Will  Smith stated  his views on teaching her to be in control of her body some time ago in an interview with Parade, neither parent seems very interested in being told how to raise their daughter. Read the entire article on TheGrio.

BMWK– Do you agree with Willow’s parents? Would you allow your child to dress the way Willow has? How would you handle criticism toward your child’s choice of appearance?

Stacie Bailey wrote 158 articles on this blog.

Stacie Bailey is a graduate of Quinnipiac University with a master's degree in Interactive Communications. She has strong interests in youth, social media and an overall love for sharing knowledge and information.

10 WordPress comments on “Jada Pinkett-Smith Takes To Facebook To Defend Daughter’s Choice

1. Natalie

I agree with Jada. I could never see what the big deal about how her daughter wore her hair anyway. As a community, we tend to put so much emphasis on hair length. I think we would be better off if we placed that emphasis on character development. The Pinkett-Smith children will be fine, it’s the children in our immediate sphere that we need to be most concerned about.

2. Laverne Jamison

I think its very cute,she is twelve and she has the right to change her apparence as she see fit.If Will and Jada say its not a problem then let it be So proud Willow you go girl,do you and stay blessed and dont let the hatters get under your skin.

3. ShonD

I agree with Jada! It’s ridiculous how those old ass weave wearing black women were projecting their own hair insecurities onto this child. The venom they were spouting about Willow and Jada for letting her shave her hair off is ridiculous. These ridiculous women who perm their own daughters’ hair at 3 and 4 years of age because they are too lazy to take the time to take care of it.

4. Angel Wells

I am amazed that anyone would even make a comment. If Willow’s mother is comfortable with her choice then no one else matters. I do take issue with the attitude that a 12 year old can make all her own choices. She is a young lady and is still in need of guidance as any other young lady her age. Hopefully she made this choice with the guidance of her parents. Long hair is a euro-centric ideal which is very popular among young girls. Beauty comes in all shapes, sizes, lengths and colors. We need to accept not criticize.

5. Marla

I agree with what Jada said. It’s admirable and noble. Fortunately, or unfortunately I do not live in their world. I don’t have the burden of being a public figure. While I give them a wink of solidarity, I will still be inflicting the lessons of conformity upon my own beautiful child so that she does not go out into a world with the Willow/Jada/Will mindset and little to none of the Willow/Jada/Will trust fund to keep her afloat. Willow lives a charmed life that isn’t universally available to all.

Bravo to them, but their choices and their methods don’t necessarily translate well into the lives of those who are on the outside, and neither do Willow’s growing pains. I appreciate them, really I do, but *shrug*. Ok.

6. Sharnice Perryman-Evans

My son was 8 when he decided that he wanted to grow his locks and I supported his decision because I dreadd going to the barber shop. Some frowned upon it and some applauded. The older he got , the longer they got, the more strange looks he got. It never affected him or his decision. I don’t think I could support my daughter at that age to cut her hair in such a way. I would encourage her to let her hair grow and explain to her that according to God its her glory.

1. Marie

So, Sharnice tell me why is it okay your son at age 8 to make that decision and be supported by you and not a daughter? I also don’t think I would have allowed my daughter at that young age to make that type of decision until she was a much older teen….17 or older.

7. Aubrey Anderson

I think that twelve is too young to wear what you want or wear your hair the way you want. The next thing she’ll be doing is telling them she’s a bisexual and that her drug of choice is cocaine and oh by the way I’m pregnant . Parent means that you have the responsibility to raise them to the point of making proper decisions and choices. Twelve is too young to be making certain decisions . I don’t care how much money and status that you have, parenting is parenting…raise a child in the way that they should go and they will never depart from those ways. Parenting is not a preconceived cultural opinion, it’s an opportunity to raise a god of the most high God. The problem is that oftentimes the parents are too jacked up themselves to make the right decisions concerning the children, so they end up raising themselves. I pray for divine intervention on behalf of this baby and that she will be exposed to God in a powerful way that will help her see her ways and change her course from worldly to Godly.

My goodness, when will the length, the texture, and style of our hair go the way of the dinosaur? From Gabby to Willow, leave the girls alone about something as superficial as their hair. Jada, one 100% correct.

9. Pingback: Jada Pinkett-Smith Shares Her Thoughts On Women in Blended Families | Black and Married With Kids.com - A Positive Image of Marriage and Family