When Your Marriage Is Under Spiritual Warfare

BY: - 15 Nov '12 | Home

Photo Credit: Pugoodwins

The night I was baptized, my pastor said something powerful that I’ll never forget. “You made a huge decision. But it doesn’t get easier from here. It gets harder. The Devil is upset at the commitment you just made, and he will do everything in his power to make you feel like you made a mistake. But The Devil is a liar.” And he was right. Since that day, I have gone up the rough side of the mountain, but even when my faith  wavered, I always found my way back to God.

The same thing is happening with my marriage. My husband and I got married, and it seems like since that day, our marriage has been under spiritual warfare. Things have been thrown at us left and right, and there have been multiple times where we both wondered if we made the right decision.

Then I realized the same holds true of what my pastor said: Satan is upset at the commitment we made, and he’s doing everything in his power to make us feel like we made a mistake. But he’s a liar.  Marriage is a covenant, a commitment before God, and we have expectations to live up to that are outlined in the Bible. Despite what we’re going through, or may think we’re going through, we have to constantly lean on God.

On one particularly difficult night, I turned to my Bible for answers on how to deal with this, on how to fight for my marriage, despite the Devil trying his best to destroy it.

“Let us not become weary in doing good,  for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.” Galatians 6:9 (NIV)

It’s hard trying to do what’s right, but we should never give up! God promises that at the right time, we will reap a harvest if we keep going. So how can we give up when we know God has something better in store for us?

Rejoice always,  pray continually,  give thanks in all circumstances;  for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (NIV)

Here are clear instructions for our marriage. What do we do? We should rejoice, we should pray continually, and we should give thanks, no matter the circumstances. So that means thank God when we’re up  and  when we’re down. Thank God when we have it and when we don’t.

“For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does.  The weapons we fight with  are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power  to demolish strongholds.” II Corinthians 10:3-4 (NIV)

Briana Ford wrote 139 articles on this blog.

Briana is a writer, influencer, and shero living in Carson, CA. She's a freelance writer in between her day job in website support and her pursuit of a degree in Instructional Design. She shares words of wisdom, curiosity, and experience on her self-titled blog, Briana Ford.

47 WordPress comments on “When Your Marriage Is Under Spiritual Warfare

1. Taiwo Williams

Great article!
    My husband and myself see our obstacles and challenges that we face in our marriage; its inevitably when you are out there in the world and against flesh and blood so to say. However, we get over them, by our spiritual foundation and immense, unconditional love with have for God and each other, We see our struggles have ultimately strengthened our marriage, and that is a good thing:)
    Blessings

1. Briana Myricks

Thanks Taiwo! You and your husband will get through every trial and tribulation put in your way as long as you stay diligent and pray about it. Praying for you guys!

2. SH

Thank you so, so much for this message! It is so timely and encouraging. No matter what I will press on and keep trusting in God!

1. Briana Myricks

Eric, for me personally, I can’t say. I’d probably have to be in the situation to see. I know I would definitely pray HARD about it, because that’s a huge decision to make. I respect anyone who stays in light of infidelity, and respect those who choose that it’s too much for them. Guess it depends for each person.

2. Pat

Never thought I would but I did. It has been a spiritually journey. I can without a doubt tell you with God ALL things are possible. We are still in the healing process, but it looks like a scar, we will be healed stronger and better than before. Glory to God!

3. Pingback: When Your Marriage Is Under Spiritual Warfare | Black and Married … | lemukalovi

4. KayFish

What a word! Thanks for the encouragement we need these reminders from time to time. God has blessed us with marriage so we have to fight the devil and his followers to keep it. I touch and agree with every reader:) May God continue to bless you and your family.

1. Briana Myricks

Thanks KayFish! Yes, God is always there for us and sometimes we take it for granted. Touch & agree. God bless you and yours :)

5. Evol Me

The world and the society that we live in has made us to believe that quitting is the best way to go. We want things to happen right now and if not we should throw in the towel. I have seen many folks gave up on their marriage and file divorce and they are Christians. The enemy does not like unity, because a married couple can create a force in their community and spread God’s love and word all over. Division/Confusion/Strife is the game the enemy plays, but we should take a stand and fight for our marriages and of course lean to God for is help at all times, we can do ALL things in Christ who strengthens me. Phillppians 4:13. Great Article

6. Regina

Thanks Briana! I thank God for you and the way he’s useing you, to encorag other people with his word. Even though we know thu word, but being flesh and blood we lose focus. Thank you for such profounded words to help God’s people to focus on his promies and his word. Have a Bless Thankgiveing.

7. Svevans

The enemy has declared war on marriage.  This is not a surprise to our Heavenly Father.  In His infinite wisdom, He has already provided a way of escape.  The bible tells us in Matthew 18:19  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.  Through the covenant of marriage, He has already provided us with the “two”.  Guess what happens when you an your spouse come in agreement against the enemy’s devices?  YOU WIN!!!  I am not married yet.  I like reading this blog in preparation.  Thank you for your honesty and transparency.

8. noleen

Woow,i am learning a lot from this website. by the time i will get married i would gathered a lot of information. God bless you

9. Shaunda

Thanks for the article! In the midst of a separation, God reaches out to meet us where we are. I am writing some of these scriptures and posting them in places as a daily reminder. Satan was making us retreat, but God is pushing us forward with the proper equipment to win this war!! Satan you can’t have mine!!

10. Blessing Ndubuisi Uket

My husband and i are really passing thru hard times and our marriage is going to be three years by 30th of Jan. We both lost our jobs same year that we got married and we are blessed by a beautiful boy. No friends,no money and no job. I will pratices wat u preached and i pray it work for my marriage. Thanks dear.

11. Nastassia

I have literally been in spiritual warfare in my marriage this year!!!!! There we’re many trying to understand how I still have my sanity. I say *because I know who my God is!* if he brings you to it, no matter how tough, he’ll bring you through it….. I can say God has brought us through it, we are currently rekindling our marriage. I have my moments when things get to me, but I do not allow them to defeat me(nor conquer what we are allowing God to fix). I am truly happier than I’ve been the whole relationship.

12. keowa ivory

Thank you for posting! Its encouraging to know that we are not alone, we too have been experiencing constant attack coming from every direction. But thanks be to God who always causes us to triumph in Him! Our enemy doesn’t want us to be unified cuz he knows the power that comes with agreement! So family fight against discord, strife, and division, let’s not give in to him!

13. Bobby Allen

God Is Good.My marriage is under attack and it’s amazing that.i was awakened out of my sleep to discover this topic. I will say confirmation that everything is going to be alright.

14. Racquel

Aaaaaaamen and aaaaaaamen. The texts you quoted were extremely appropriate and the message has so much carryover for other things. Great post.

15. Pingback: Dirty Liars Come Clean |

16. Pingback: Words of Encouragement: Does God Screen Our Calls? |

17. Goodness me

This post was right on time, me and my husband are going through a really rough patch in our marriage right now, and I really needed this. There is so much work to be done in our marriage and it is so easy to get overwhelmed and give up. I don’t want to give up, I want to love like Christ did and walk in his footsteps, just trying to find my strength and perseverance to do exactly that. Thanks so much.

18. Pingback: 7 Keys to Success in Life and Love | Black and Married With Kids.com - A Positive Image of Marriage and Family

19. Pingback: 7 Keys to Success in Life and Love | Crystal Key Ministries

20. Pingback: I Don't Believe in God...So, What About My Marriage? | Black and Married With Kids.com - A Positive Image of Marriage and Family

21. Romanzia Saunders

We must definitely work the Word of God.. It is to our advantage to apply, and stand on his Word for it will not return to him void. It will accomplish that which we can’t accomplish in our own strength. It is easy to throw in the towel and say forget it. But thanks be to God who has allowed us to triumphant over all circumstances, which includes our covenant relationship with our spouse. Love is also the conquering tool to overcome all the distraction, discord and disunion. And we know without faith it is impossible to please Him. It is our faith that will launch us into the path of victory for our marriages…… After all it is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you and me. Thank you for your encouragement, what a great inspiration for many…..

Good morning I am standing strong in my marriage. My marriage is under attack… I would like to receive the article they are posting about. Thank you

23. Faye

My marriage is presently under attack by the enemy. Especially in the area of finances. It makes us be quiet for days not saying anythinh to each other. Thank God that we do get back to each other. Couples minutes b4 I read this article I was crying and wondering if my marriage will ever be healed. I know it will be healed! This is a great article and I believe and receive everything thing that you said! Continue to be bessed!

24. C More

I’m going through this right now. I am at my limit and about to call it quits. This is an excellent article. However, it takes TWO to say I do and stay in it for the long haul. I can’t fight the devil and my husband. He has to want it as much and I don’t feel he does. :-(

25. muscle building food

Just desire to say your article is as surprising. The clarity in your post is just nice and i could assume you are an expert on this subject.

Well with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post.
    Thanks a million and please keep up the rewarding work.

Here is my website muscle building food