Do you think the man or woman you are dating is the one? Do you need reassurance of their qualities as a potential mate? Keep in mind that you don’t have to have everything in common; my husband and I don’t like all of the same movies, music or food. It’s the differences that I think keep our relationship interesting and fun. I’ve listed some serious questions I think everyone needs to think about while determining the compatibility of a person.
1. Do you share the same religious beliefs? Some couples make it work with two different religions, but make sure you agree on what you will teach your kids. Also be prepared to respect one another’s beliefs and customs.
2. Do you have similar values such as trust, honesty and reliability? If one of you does not, be prepared for the imminent arguments. Communication early in the relationship will determine your mate’s values.
3. Do you want kids? If neither of you have any, you should discuss if you are going to have them in the future. Also, if you are bringing kids from previous relationships into the marriage, will you have any together? You may want to get that answer early in the relationship.
4. How ambitious are you? You should be aware if your potential mate is comfortable in their present situation. One of you may want a career while the other is happy with a job. Be honest if you are ok with it. Ask yourself if you can be supportive if they want to further their education. You will be surprised at how many people do not support their spouse going back to school.
5. Do you enjoy going places? In some relationships, one of you may enjoy staying at home and while the other likes to be on the go. This can be stressful to a relationship if you don’t spend quality time with each other. Compromise will be necessary to keep the relationship afloat.
There are probably more characteristics to name, but these are just a few I think are important. Remember, that you may not share all of the same characteristics…. and that is ok because the differences can make the relationship interesting. You know which traits are the most important to you and if you have those in common, you may be with the right person.
BMWK- after reading this article do you think you and your boo are compatible? If yes, what makes you compatible?
like what you're reading?