This is part of a special series of recipe posts by Utokia Langley of She’s Got Flavor as we lead into Thanksgiving! Make sure you check back everyday for another recipe!
Everyone loves greens, well everyone I know does. You really cannot go wrong with this trio, all three are healthy and the combination tastes great. During special events I am often asked to make the The Greens Dream Team; the team is well known for alwayz rockin out the flavor in a major way. This will be one of my side dishes for Christmas dinner and I will freeze some for my Father-In-Law because he loves my greens. Hope the flavor rocks out for you as well!!
THREE GREENS DREAM TEAM – Featuring Mr. Collard, Mr. Kale and Ms. Cabbage
2 pounds of fresh Collards
1 pound of fresh Kale
Salt Water to clean your Collards & Kale
½ head of cabbage thinly sliced
½ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups water
3-4 pork necks (or 3-4 smoked turkey necks)
Adobe all-purpose seasoning
READY, SET GO:
- Soak your Collards & Kale in salt water for 15-20 minutes
- Rinse/Clean Collards & Kale, then remove big stems
- Roll Collards and Kale and cut into small pieces (how small is up to you)
- Thinly slice ½ a head of cabbage and Rinse/Clean the cabbage
- Add 3 cups of chicken broth to a big sauce pan over high heat and allow to come to a boil
- Add the Collards & Kale to the sauce pan with the chicken broth and turn heat down to medium for 40 minutes covered (we are not adding cabbage yet because it cooks quicker)
- In a separate medium sauce pan add 2 cups of water, pork neck bones, adobe all-purpose seasoning, ground pepper and granulated garlic over medium heat and allow to cook for about 40 minutes uncovered or until meat on neck bones are tender, once tender, remove the neck bones from liquid and remove the meat from them but reserve the liquid it cooked in as well as 2 of the neck bones
- After Collards & Kale have cooked for 40 minutes, add granulated sugar, apple cider, neck bone meat and 2 neck bones plus all the liquid the neck bones were cooked in and cabbage, turn heat down to low and continue to cook covered (stirring occasionally) for 45 minutes or until desired consistency
- ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!!
Tip: Double ingredients to make more
Tip: Add a little hot sauce if you like your greens spicy
Sizzle Sizzle Baby
like what you're reading?