March 1st is a day that parents are empowered to make a difference.
March 1st is a day that parents can show their kid’s just how important education is.
March 1st is a day where parents become part of the solution (instead of just talking about the problems at their local schools.)
You see, March 1st is the submission deadline for Box Tops for Education. And participating schools all over the country will be turning in Box Tops that they have received from their students and parents. And yes …this is a BIG DEAL!
Since the program began, Box Tops for Education has given over $525 M dollars to schools since starting the program in 1996. There are some schools earning up to $20,000 from the program. Participating schools are using the money to expose their students to cultural programs that they would not have experienced otherwise. They are using the funds to purchase supplies and technology for their schools. They are using the funds to purchase band equipment and play ground equipment. They are using the funds to fill in the gaps that are left when the schools are underfunded.
So parents, here is your call to action:
- If your child’s school is not participating in the Box Tops for Education program, it’s time for you to ask why and keep asking until the principal and/or PTA makes the program a priority. (Learn more about Box Tops for Education. or you can call 888-799-2444.)
- Perhaps you can volunteer to be the Box Tops Coordinator or to be on the Box Tops committee at your child’s school. But if you don’t have the time for that, then your involvement can be getting your entire family (including the extended family) involved in clipping box tops. (Download a handy kit that includes articles and resources to help you be involved in your child’s education – Educational Success Toolkit.)
Get the word out:
- Start spreading the word to other parents that the submission deadline, March 1st, is fast approaching.
- Build the buzz by running a few competitions at the school and offering incentives to the kids.
- Call around to all of your friends and family members (even in other states) and ask them to send you their Box Tops and make sure they arrive before March 1st.
- When parents get excited and get involved, they make a major impact on their children and in their communities.
BMWK – If you had the ability to help your child’s school earn thousand’s of dollars by doing something that you already do, would you? Leave us a comment below to let us know if you are already clipping box tops for your child’s school. Or, if you plan to start. We would love to know how many people are participating!
Disclosure: Lamar and I are paid spokesbloggers for the Box Tops For Education program. We will be providing information and stories throughout the school year in hopes of encouraging our community to take advantage of the millions of dollars that are being given to schools across the country each year. All opinions expressed are our very own. Information, products and promotional items have been provided by General Mills and Box Tops for Education and its program partners.
like what you're reading?