2014 is here! Even though we’re a couple weeks in, it’s not too late to make this the year that you step out of your comfort zone and try something new. In the spirit of new beginnings, check out my 10 Style Commandments to Make 2014 Your Most Fab Year Yet!
- Thou Shall Embrace Color…even if it’s just on your nails. Make 2014 the year that you get out of your comfort zone and try something new. Experiment with brights or add little pops of color in the form of jewelry and other accessories.
- Thou Shall Mix it Up…and make a statement. Mixing prints is anything but boring. Try pairing stripes and florals or leopard print with damn near anything
- Thou Shall Not Let the Boys Have All the Fun! Try out a menswear look. Add some masculinity with a necktie, brougues or chic fedora. Balance the look with feminine details like stilettos or a pencil skirt.
- Thou Shall Find Your Style Star. By now, you know that Solange is not only my BFF ( in my head) but also my fave fashion icon. Peruse fashion magazines or hit the interwebs in search of a celeb whose style you admire. You can use a site like Pinterest, or even a fashion inspiration board to keep your 2014 wardrobe well…inspired.
- Thou Shall Cut it out! You’d be surprised how much a haircut can do, not just for your look but for your confidence as well. I chopped my hair off in January 2013 and never looked back. So what are you waiting for? 2014 is here, chop, chop!
- Thou Shall Do a Cleanse. No, not that kind. Take everything out of your closet, determine what you need to keep and what needs to go, then organize and put back all the keepers. If it hasn’t been worn in a year or you wouldn’t buy it again, toss it. If it fits you (the body you have right now, not after you lose 10 lbs) and your current lifestyle, keep it. You may have some gems in there just waiting to be re-discovered. If there is shopping to be done, you’ll have a better idea of what you actually need (or want) once you’ve completed this step.
- Thou Shall Set a Budget for the Good Stuff. You probably already know that I’m all about being Fab & Frugal. But in fashion, much like other areas of life, you get what you pay for. A cheap suit or shoes will look just that, cheap. Go ahead and save on the trendy hot-right-now items, but set some cash aside for those timeless, high quality pieces that’ll last you more than one or two seasons.
- Thou Shall Organize Your Accessories. A well chosen accessory can make or break a look. Why not find some chic and creative ways to organize your baubles and bling? after all, if you can’t see it, you won’t wear it.
- Thou Shall Get Your Cluster On. Wardrobe clusters are your key to getting dressed with confidence. Try using the Style Medic Cluster Formula: 4 tops + 4 bottoms+ 1 sweater + 1 jacket. This combo will give you at least 23 different outfit combos! Add a dress for 6 more options.
- Thou Shall Create a Signature Look. Everyone has a look. Whether you always wear a flower in your hair, a funky pair of glasses or incorporate your favorite color into every outfit, your signature look tells the world a little about you before you even speak.
**Bonus – Buy at least one item of clothing simply because it makes you happy. Because you’re never fully dressed without a smile!**
Cheers to a Fabulous New Year!
like what you're reading?