Newly engaged? Joining the ‘BlackandMarried’ club? (lol) Summer is vacation season but it’s also the season for destination weddings. For some couples, they’ve opted out of a traditional wedding and chosen to get married in a fabulous destination wedding. Whereas a destination wedding is a dream come true, there’s a lot involved to ensure your big day comes off without a hitch.
Destination weddings create a fabulous vacation atmosphere for the happy couple and the guests. They often cost less and are a great way to start the honeymoon early.
Here are a six must-see rules to remember when planning a destination wedding:
- Pick your perfect destination. Don’t pick a totally new destination that you’ve never visited. Pick a destination that you’ve visited or vacationed in as a couple and loved.
- Timing is everything! The most popular destination wedding choices are also popular vacation destinations. This means fewer venue options and available hotels. To avoid the hotel/venue of your dreams being booked to capacity, send your ‘save the date’ notifications 12 months in advance. This will give the wedding party, family, friends and guest enough time to plan and make travel arrangements.
- Take a trip. If your budget allows, take a planning trip to check out the venue (s), florists, caterers etc.
- Research the marriage requirements of the destination. It’s very important that you do your research and learn the marriage license requirements of your chosen destination. All countries have different ‘residency requirements’ that must be fulfilled before the ceremony…no exceptions! For example Turks & Caicos’ residency requirement is only 24 hours whereas France is 40 days…YES 40 days! Don’t waste your time and money, find out in advance.
- Mother nature can be your friend or your enemy. Summer weather can be a beast. If you’ve chosen to have your wedding in the Caribbean, remember hurricane season is July thru October. If Hawaii is the wedding site, keep in mind rainy season is November thru March. Also when picking your dress and the wedding party attire, remember the destinations weather.
- Start planning now, right now! You can never have enough time to plan ahead.
Remember it’s your big day and the beginning of a great life together.
BMWK family, did you have a destination wedding? What is the best advice that you would offer?
like what you're reading?