You’re probably thinking it’s way too early to start making holiday travel plans. It’s not! The sooner you start planning and booking your holiday travel, the more money you will save.
Airlines have changed the rules and are increasing prices and fees for flights and everything else including carry-on bag and checked bags. If air travel is your primary method of travel for the holidays there are a few things to keep in mind that will help you save money on your plane ticket.
• Book early. The golden rule of air travel we can’t stress enough especially with holiday travel. Once you know your travel dates start searching for deals. Also remember to take advantage of the 24-hour rule. Once you find a good deal, put it on hold for 24-hours and check the next day to compare prices before you purchase,
• Be flexible with your travel dates. The second golden rule of travel. The most expensive and busiest holiday travel days are going to be the days/afternoons before Thanksgiving, Christmas and the next day. The Saturdays before and right after the holiday are also two of the most expensive travel days. The cheaper days to fly are going to be on the actual holidays.
• Research is the key. The internet is going to be the best place to find a fabulous deal on an airline ticket. The website www.SkyScanner.com compares millions of flights to bring you the best deal and also provides a free direct link to purchase. One stop flight shopping at its best.
• One-way ticket please! Some airlines are currently (JetBlue and Southwest come to mind) offering one-way ticket deals to major cities. You may be able to book less expensive airfare by booking one-way tickets through different airlines.
• Hit the road! If your holiday destination is drivable, you should definitely consider driving instead of flying especially if you are traveling with kids. Roundtrip gas for the car is going to be a lot cheaper than roundtrip plane tickets for the family, but pack your patience!
If you have any type of travel rewards through a credit card or debit card, don’t forget to use them for free/cheaper tickets, free checked bags and upgrades.
BMWK: Do you have any special travel plans for the upcoming holiday?
like what you're reading?