Personal health especially while traveling has never been on everyone’s mind like it is right now. The holiday travel season is fastly approaching along with flu and cold season. Everyone is on high alert and the airlines are trying to reassure travelers that planes are thoroughly cleaned after each flight. Just in case someone missed a spot, we have a few tips that will give you a little peace of mind and help keep you healthy during and after a flight.
These easy to implement tips will help protect you in the air from diseases like common colds and the flu.
- Travel with a pack of disinfecting wipes and mini Lysol spray in your carry-on bag. We previously suggested that you use both in your hotel room but everyone should also have a pack of wipes and spray in their purse/carry-on bag. On planes (buses and trains), wipe down anything that you can touch. If you can touch, it so did the person on the flight before you that was sick. Wipe down the tray table, seat belt buckles and air vents (above your head), before you get comfortable. If you board early enough, spray the seat with the Lysol, remember it kills 99.9% of bacteria and germs.
- Stay away from the bathroom! It’s a rule of thumb to go before you board, but if you have to use the one on the plane, please take your disinfecting wipes with you. Think about it, if someone is sick on the plane, chances are they are going to visit the bathroom at some point during that flight. Wipe down every handle and surface in that bathroom including the locks, doors and the faucet handles.
- Use the air-vent as a directional shield. If you hear someone coughing near you, turn the air-vent in their direction and put it on full blast. This will help push their germs back on them and away from you.
- Consider a mask or wear a scarf. Consider wearing a surgical mask while in flight to protect against airborne germs. If you don’t want to draw attention to yourself, you can also wear a scarf as part of your fashionable traveling outfit and use it like a face mask.
- Board healthy! Medical experts suggest that the best way to stay healthy while flying is to board healthy. Get enough sleep the night before your flight and stay hydrated. Also, don’t forget your daily vitamins. All of this will help keep your immune system strong so you can fight off illness.
BMWK family, how do you stay healthy while traveling by plane?
like what you're reading?