Growing up, Mac N Cheese was a big part of our Sunday dinners. Usually served with crispy fried chicken and collard greens, it was always something I looked forward to. This Mac N Cheese recipe is extra cheesy and creamy, and will not disappoint. The secret to the creaminess is creating a roux before you put it in the oven. The roux makes the dish extra cheesy and delicious.
Here’s what you need!
- 1 lb of elbow macaroni
- 1 quart of half & half
- 1 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 3 cups of sharp cheddar
- 2 cups of mild cheddar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Boil macaroni noodles in about 8 cups of water until Al Dente
- Strain macaroni and set aside
- Warm quart of half and half on low heat, making sure it doesn’t boil
- In a pot melt stick of butter
- Pour flour into melted butter whisking constantly
- Once the flour and butter is smooth, add warm half and half
- Continue whisking until thickened
- Remove from heat and add salt & pepper
- Stir in 2 cups of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of mild cheddar
- Combine macaroni with the roux
- Transfer to baking dish
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheddar over the top
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and top is slightly browned
- Serve while hot and enjoy!
This Creamy Mac N Cheese Recipe is a family favorite! I hope your family will enjoy it too.
like what you're reading?