What’s going down in your DM? (that’s Direct Messaging…for those who don’t know)
Are you living out your alter ego on social media? How many pictures do you take…just to post one photo on Instagram?
The amazing advances we’ve made in cellular technology have had some unintended effects on our emotional well-being and health. Insecurity, low self-esteem and depression are just some of the side effects of social media.
On the relationship front, a blogger I know asked her followers to tell her how social media and technology had affected their relationships. Out of the 2,000+ responses she got back, almost every single one was “very sad”. And they all had one thing in common: social media and technology destroyed my relationship.
Shawty…we gotta protect ourselves and our relationships when it comes to this social media phenomenon. Here are 11 checks-and-balances you need to ask yourself about your social media habits. Judge for yourself whether your social media interactions are threatening your relationship and/or causing you emotional distress.
- Is who you are on social media the same as who you feel you are on the inside? #publicpersona #vs #privatelie #highpublicesteem #vs #lowselfesteem
- Do you spend more time editing your images and posts than you do editing your character? #photofilters #photoshopyourlife #edityourcharacter #filteryourtongue
- Are you spending more time documenting your experiences than experiencing your experiences? #selfies #waitwhatdidImiss
- Do you put more time into looking at other people’s timeline than you do experiencing your own life in real time? #staythumbscrolling #thumbscrollingatparties #thumbscrollingatdinner
- Do you get depressed, jealous or envious looking at other people’s happy pictures posts on their timelines? #hateronthehush #butyoumadtho #sheaintallthat #shethinkshecute
- Do the manufactured perceptions on social media influence your beliefs of what is true and real? #virginremi #buttinjections #breastimplants
- Are your expectations of what’s realistic in your relationship based on the freaky video posted on social media? #worldStar #caribbeandancehall #poledancingacrobats #twerkvideos
- Are your online relationships or your interactions on DM, threatening your current relationship? #sexting #oldboos #Iusetohaveacrushonyou #areyouandyourwifestilltogether
- Is social media setting your expectations about what you want somebody to do for you, but you’re failing to understand what’s fully expected from you? #Idonotcook #fathersdontbabysit #sexaintfree #thecostiscommittment
- Is social media setting your expectations about what you want somebody to do for you, but you’re character disqualifies you from being the person worthy of such consideration. #inappropriatetexts #itsjustFacebook #itsjustflirting #sextingisntcheating
- Is social media giving you a false representation of what to pray to God for in a mate? #talldarkandhandsome #sixfigurenicca #38-#24-#40 #redbone #lighteyes #goodhair
Set boundaries for yourself on social media in order to protect your emotions, self-esteem, and your relationship.
BMWK – Do you set proper boundaries on your social media interactions?
like what you're reading?