This post is brought to you by the makers of Pine-Sol® Products. I have partnered with them to spread the word about the ‘When Life Gets Tough, Women Rise Above It’ campaign and sweepstakes. To enter the sweepstakes, visit www.womenRiseAboveIt.com. All opinions and stories are my own.
In this day and age where everybody gets equal playing time and there are no winners or losers, kids could go a long time without experiencing true disappointments. I remember my first real disappointment. I tried out for captain of the flag team (as I was convinced I was one of the best on the team.) They gave the position to another girl. I was really hurt and I did not handle it well. I stopped doing my best and I eventually quit the squad. But what I should have done was to show them why they picked the wrong person.
My attitude was wrong…I did not know how to handle the disappointment. And that was the first of many to come…. As I got older, I did not get accepted to some of the schools that I applied to and I did not get every job that I applied for. Shoot…there were even some guys that rejected me.
And that’s why I am constantly talking to my kids and trying to prepare them to deal with the challenges that may come their way in life.
They need to know how to dust their selves off, and keep it moving. They need to know how to turn their failures into successes. They need to know how to rise above it.
Here are 10 common phrases that I always tell my kids:
- The worst they can say is no.
- A closed mouth never gets fed. This means that if you don’t ask for what you want, you won’t get it.
- Let Your Haters Be Your Motivators – this statement is over-used … but true. Any time someone hates on us, my husband and I use that to fuel our passion. We kick it into overdrive.
- “You don’t have to blow out the other person’s light to let your own shine!” ~Bernard M. Barch
- Your environment may influence you, but it does not get to dictate who you are. So, if you grew up in an environment that is not so good or if you find yourself being faced with obstacles, you don’t’ have to be a helpless victim.
- Learn from your mistakes.
- Practice makes perfect.
- If at first you don’t succeed…try try again.
- You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. ~ Wayne Gretzky
- The only failure is not to try.
I am so happy to be partnering with the makers of Pine-Sol® Products on the ‘When Life Gets Tough, Women Rise Above It’ campaign that encourages women from across the country to contribute their own stories of triumph and inspire others.
If you to go out to the Pine-Sol® Women Rise Above It website, http://www.pinesol.com/rise-above, you can read a moving collection of stories by women that have risen above and that are here today to tell their stories of how they overcame life’s challenges. It’s very inspiring. Many of these women have overcome self-doubt, abusive relationships, critical illnesses such as cancer, and the death of loved ones.
If you have a story of perseverance, then this is your chance to share it with the world and to inspire other women who may also be going through challenges. Also, by entering your story, you will have a chance to win many great prizes, such as:
- Once a week for 12 weeks, Pine-Sol® will award one lucky winner small tokens of appreciation (Flower bouquet + Pine Sol coupons)
- Three first prize winners will receive complimentary house cleaning services for a year
- One grand prize winner will be awarded an all-inclusive trip to enjoy a peaceful spa experience at a deluxe hotel.
BMWK – how do you teach your kids to deal with life’s disappoints? Do you have a favorite quote or phrase that you use? Please share with us below and then take a few minutes to enter the sweepstakes…after all who would not love free house cleaning for a year or a trip to a peaceful spa.
Sweepstakes Rules: NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 United States & D.C. 18 years and older. Ends 1/31/14 at 11:59 a.m. PT. To enter and for Official Rules, including odds, and prize descriptions, visit www.womenriseaboveit.com. Void where prohibited.