As much as I want to slow down the hands of time, it is inevitable that my kids have to grow up. As they journey into young adulthood, we still need to be there to guide them in the right direction. Since my son is the oldest, I’m starting with him. Here are 10 essential dating tips that I am giving my teenage son. Note: This is for DATING…not marriage. That’s an entirely different set of tips.
1. First of all, never ask a girl out via text messaging. Call her on the phone or even better, ask her in person if you see her around.
2. Asking a girl out doesn’t mean you are asking for her hand in marriage. Keep it light and fun! Pay close attention to how she treats the wait staff and if she offers to pay. When and if she does offer, please refuse. ALWAYS refuse.
3. No matter how nervous you are, be yourself. Girls are smart and can sniff out a phony a mile away!
4. When you arrive at her place, meet her at her door. NEVER (I repeat NEVER) text her or call her to say, “I’m out here.” Walk to her front door and walk her back to your car.
5. Ask her about herself and truly LISTEN. Let her know that you not only heard her, but you actually listened to her. There is a difference.
6. Treat her with a gentle touch and with the good manners I taught you. Open her door(s). Pull out her chair. Assist her with her jacket, both off and on.
7. Ask her if you can hold her hand or put your arm around her. Don’t take any guesses on where you are on the date. Just ask. It’s that simple!
8. Respect her. Treat her with a gentle heart and the kindness and respect that you would give me or your grandmother. She is someone’s daughter, so treat her like you want ME to be treated.
9. Kissing her goodnight is ok. NOTE: Please son, DO NOT kiss every girl goodnight. Everyone doesn’t deserve that special part of you. Save it for the right one. You will know it.
10. Date around and do all of the above with different girls. But, if you have agreed upon a serious commitment with someone, then only seriously date one girl at a time. When you’ve decided to do so, please be faithful to her. Make honesty a trait that she loves about you!
In addition to being safe while driving (or at dinner) – NO TEXTING or talking on the phone. These are just a few of the essentials. There are lots more! Now, it’s time for me to talk to your little sister…Enjoy yourself and have fun!
BMWK – Do you have any tips for teenagers dating?
Leave a Reply