This school year, I’ve been trying to simplify my meal planning life and literally trying to use every bit of food we have. I’ve gotten pretty good with transforming leftovers. It has saved me time and money. Skillet pizza is always a quick and delicious weekday meal and I make it with leftovers so that cuts my cooking time in half! You can make it with whatever leftovers you have on hand. It’s also a really great dinner that the kids love to help with and gets everyone in the kitchen together. If you have picky eaters just know that kids are more likely to eat something they help prepare.
My favorite grocery store usually has the fresh pizza dough balls in the bakery on a buy one get one free promotion and that saves me money too! I’m winning! Yes, I think I’m all that and yes I will give you the tea so you can be all that too!
Leftover bacon from breakfast, and leftover rotisserie chicken gets tossed on this version of skillet pizza, and I added some spinach because my children claim they don’t eat it. You are going to love me when you see how easy this is! All you need is a heavy cast iron skillet, pizza dough, cheese, and leftovers!
Bacon, Spinach, & Chicken Skillet Pizza Serves 4
1 Fresh Pizza Dough Ball
1/4c. Spaghetti or Pizza Sauce (Leftover spaghetti sauce works great!)
1c. Cooked Bacon, chopped
1/2c. Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
1c. Fresh Spinach
2c. Shredded Mozzarella
1tbsp. Melted Butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Generously spray nonstick spray on the bottom and sides on cast iron skillet.
3. Press dough ball with your fingers into the pan, gently moving it outward with your fingers to cover the bottom of the skillet.
4. Spoon sauce onto dough leaving desired amount of crust uncovered around the edges.
5. Bring on the bacon!! Well some of it. Save the rest for the top.
6. Top it with chicken and spinach, then with cheese.
7. Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and brush the melted butter around the pizza on the crust.
8. Bake for 20 minutes until the crust is golden and cooked through, and the cheese is melted.
**The pizza should slide out of the skillet easily onto a cutting board.**
Be sure to add the bacon before you bake it and then crumble more on top after it bakes. You’ll thank me later!
BMWK: What are your favorite pizza toppings?