Yesterday was the opening celebration and kickoff of the 2013 Disney Dreamers Academy. Disney has partnered with Steve Harvey and Essence magazine to provide 100 teens from across the country with the unique opportunity to harness the power of their dreams through life changing workshops and motivational talks from celebrities and successful professionals that are a the top of their fields.
In this powerful four-day program, the Dreamers engage in a wide range of experiences while working hand and hand with community and industry leaders, dedicated Disney Cast Members and some of today’s top celebrities. From slicing and dicing with a master chef to bringing illustrations to life with a real Disney animator, our young Dreamers not only learn how to motivate themselves, but also how to inspire their friends, families and communities. – DisneyDreamersAcademy.com
These 100 teens were chosen from a pool of over 5000 candidates because they have displayed the qualities of a leader, or because they are inspiring others by giving back and volunteering in their local communities, or because they are overcoming incredible personal odds in their home lives but continue to keep their eyes on their dreams. Simply put, they were chosen because they were dreamers.
The welcome ceremony set the stage and tone for the entire 4 day program. Steve Harvey, Yolanda Adams (Gospel Superstar and Radio Personality), Mikki Taylor (editor at large, Essence Magazine), Tracy D. Powell (Disney’s Executive Champion for DDA) and Meg Crofton (President Walt Disney Parks and Resots) were there to welcome the 2013 dreamers, to encourage them to make the most of this 4 day program, and to inspire them to dream big. And, here are 10 things that they shared about harnessing the power of your dreams.
- Power comes from within….you have the power to change your life.
- When you open yourself up to your dreams things become clearer…you open yourself up to a world of possibilities.
- No matter how old you get, your dreams are acheivable and attainable.
- Your dream is the most important component in your life besides your relationship with God. A man without a dream shall parish.
- It’s your dreams that will make you go-on when you feel like quitting.
- It’s your dreams that will keep you on track and focused, when everyone else around you are doing the wrong things.
- When is it too late to be successfull…. NEVER! Steve Harvey explained he did not appear on TV for the first time until he was 38 years old.
- In order to be successful, you have to do a series of things that you don’t want to do. It is not always going to be comfortable.
- In order to get something you’ve never had, you are going to have to do things you’ve never done.
This will be the 3rd year that Lamar and I have had the pleasure of being invited as media to attend the Disney Dreamer’s Academy. Lamar and I have big dreams for our business, for our family, and for our community. So it’s truly a blessing when we can attend an event that is specifically designed to inspire people to achieve their dreams. Each year, we leave this event inspired and rejunvenated and with even more purpose and drive towards making our dreams a reality. Please stay tuned all weekend as be bring you more coverage from Disney Dreamers Academy.
BMWK Family – I will ask what two questions that the teens have been asked to think about this weekend. What are your dreams? What are you doing to make them come true?