Christmas is coming and around here the toy lists have been created for months. Lalaloopsy, Trash Packs and a bunch of other nonsense (new school toys are weak). How can you ease the pain of the holiday rush? Well I’m not the 3AM Black Friday type so you can cancel any thoughts of that. What I will do is log on to my computer, click a few buttons and get ready to collect my “Dad of the Year” award on Christmas day.
Last week I told you about Kmart’s great layaway plan. Well I picked up a few items to get the kids toy fix on and it was a breeze. It was so easy I’ll break down how I did it.
1. I started off by just going to Kmart.com. I was greated by a notice that they extended Cyber Monday and a bunch of flat screen TV pictures. Wow! Had to get off of that page fast!
2. I located all of the toys and items I wanted to get for the kids. I would post them here but loose lips sink ships and I don’t want anyone who knows us to tell the kids what they are getting by mistake.
3. When I was done there was a button that I checked asking if I wanted to place some or all of my items on layway. Um, yes I would. Glad that you asked.
4. Next the site popped up with a list of stores in my area showing who had the items that I wanted in stock. I found one that had all four toys that were in my cart and selected it.
5. Next move was to select my arrival method for each item. I chose layaway but in store pickup and having it ship directly were options as well.
6. I put down $15 bucks for over $100 worth of items and set up my eight week plan. .
If you’re looking to lock in holiday prices but don’t plan on picking up an item before early 2012 this is a great option. It’s also great if you want to secure your Christmas gifts and not worry about them being sold out when you get to the store the week before Christmas. That’s what I’ll be doing. We’re going to go into the store and pay the remainder of the balance and pick up our goodies. No stress, no strain, no struggle. Chuck the peace sign to the other frantic shoppers and roll out.
Here are a few more details about Kmarts layaway plan in case you were wondering:
- Kmart layaway is available on virtually all items in the store and online (marked as “Available for Layaway”) ““ including small kitchen appliances, sporting goods, fitness equipment, pet items, health and beauty items, and of course ““ clothing.
- Layaway terms of 8 or 12 weeks are available in most states
- Kmart layaway is year round and doesn’t end in early December like some companies. Also the last day for Christmas pick up is Dec. 24th so you can push it to the wire LOL.
- Black Friday deals are eligible unlike some competitors.
- There is a calculator on the Kmart website that will help you figure out how much is due with your biweekly payments.
- My favorite thing is that you can make payments on Kmart.com! I used to hate going into a store to pay if I wasn’t going to pick something up.
If you’re worried about excessive fees, don’t worry. There is only a $5 service fee for using Kmart’s layaway plan. You only have to put down $15 or 10%, whichever is greater. And lastly, you can pay the contract down faster if you’d like without any penalties. You can find out more information on the Kmart layaway page.
This post is part of a series that I will receive compensation for from Kmart in exchange for the time and effort that it will take to produce the surrounding content. All opinions expressed are totally honest and totally mine.