My husband was a salad chef when we met. In the culinary world he ran the “Garde Manger” station. In a fine dining establishment it’s the person who makes the salads, appetizers, and sometimes even desserts. Nothing makes me feel more special than him making me a fresh salad because it reminds me of that time when we were dating. I used to go to his job and sit in the middle of the dining room because his station was out on the floor, where guests could see what he was preparing. I would order an Arnold Palmer and just sit and stare all dreamy eyed, while he made me a salad. Then after my meal he would make a special dessert and bring it to my table. Ah! Those were the days.
Our anniversary is coming up a few days before Christmas and with all of the cooking, baking and eating I’ve been doing, I thought this delicious salad would be a nice way to relive those fond times without the guilt of overindulging.
Garlic Shrimp Caesar Salad
(makes 2 salads)
1/2 pound shrimp, uncooked, peeled, and deveined
Salt and Pepper, to taste
2Tbsp. Unsalted Butter
1Tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 head of romaine lettuce
2Tbsp. Your favorite Caesar Dressing
3/4c. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1. Season shrimp with salt and pepper.
2. On medium heat steam shrimp with a teaspoon of olive oil for about 3-5 minutes until bright pink
3. Remove shrimp from pan and add 2 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of garlic powder. And melt.
4. Add shrimp back to the pan and toss in the garlic butter. Remove from heat.
5. In a clean bowl, toss romaine, dressing and half of the cheese until all of the lettuce is coated.
If you need a light but delicious meal to get you through the holidays, this is it!