This Key Lime Cake is sweet but tangy and oh so delicious! It has the perfect kind of melt in your mouth combinations that will have you coming back for seconds and thirds! I had a key lime cake for the first time over one of my best friend’s home. She made it for her husband’s birthday and MAN oh MAN that thing was something good. It was so good that it stuck in my head and I could not release it until I made one myself! Well I did it and BAM POW KABOOM! YEP you got it HOME RUN! Out the park baby! I’ve made it for gatherings since my first one and it always ends the same way with people fighting over the last slice! OH YEAH! This is the perfect any time dessert but I thought it would be particularly special for Easter! Hope you get to try it out ~ you surely will not regret it!
Just mixing up a little green love.
Oh Yeah Baby!
Can’t wait to dig in!
KEY LIME CAKE INGREDIENTS:
1 box lemon cake mix
1 ½ vegetable oil
½ cup pineapple juice
1/3 cup lime juice
4 beaten eggs
1 3.4 oz. box lime Jell-O
1-2 tsp. unsalted butter (room temperature)
2-3 tsp. all-purpose flour
4-5 drops of green food coloring (optional – this intensifies the green color)
CREAM CHEESE LIME ICING INGREDIENTS:
4 ½ cups confectioner sugar
1 8 oz. cream cheese (room temperature)
2 tbsp. heavy whipping cream
1 stick unsalted butter (room temperature)
3 tbsp. lime juice
READY, SET GO:
- LET’S MAKE THE KEY LIME CAKE – Pre-heat oven to 350 and add all ingredients (except butter and flour) to a bowl and mix until incorporated
- Lightly butter and flour two 9’ round baking pans
- Pour 2 ½ cups of the cake batter into each baking pan and bake for 20 – 25 minutes
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to sit in pan for 2-4 minutes then carefully remove from pans and allow to completely cool on a cooling rack
- LET’S MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE LIME ICING – Add butter and cream cheese to mixing bowl and mix until incorporated, add in confectioner sugar one cup at a time and mix in between, then add heavy whipping cream and lime juice and mix until smooth
- LET’S ASSEMBLE THE CAKE – place one of the completely cooled cakes bottom up on a cake dish, add a generous amount of icing and top with second cake bottom up, frost top and sides
- ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY!
Sizzle Sizzle Baby