I don’t know about your house, but the weekdays and nights around here can be pretty hectic. So, in order to spend that time together that we desperately need, I really think it’s important to schedule “family fun night” every once in a while. Whether it’s a Friday night at home with pizza and a board game or it’s a family outing at the bowling alley, kids not only have fun, but they learn a lot from this. Here are seven reasons why kids need family fun night.
1. They learn to take turns. This is especially important if you have small kids. When you’re a toddler/pre-schooler, it’s kind of hard to grasp that it’s not always about you. (Well, the same is true for some adults, too!) So, this is a great opportunity for taking turns with their siblings and parents.
2. They learn that losing isn’t the end of the world. Now this may be hard if you’re super-competitive like me. I do my best not to model poor sportsmanship in front of our kids, but even if it’s a friendly game of UNO, I hate losing!
3. It’s a time to bond. This is one of my favorite reasons. I love family fun night because my family is always on the go. Between school, work and activities, we don’t get a lot of [quality] time during the week to spend with one another. So, this is what I personally love about our little get togethers.
4. They learn patience. When you’re having fun and the entire family is involved, they will have to wait until it’s their turn. And depending on their age, this might require a great deal of patience.
5. They understand the concept of teamwork. This is a wonderful opportunity to teach your kids about teamwork, especially if you’re playing a game that requires you to split into teams. This is a great skill for your child to have throughout life!
6. It creates life-long memories. Kids grow up so quickly. Pretty soon, all they’ll have are their childhood memories to reflect upon. So, give them these wonderful times to remember. They’re worth it.
7. It shows them that they are important. We live in an age where parents are always glued to their smartphones and devices. So, when you put those down and pick your kids up, they are much happier children. They may or may not tell you this, but they are happy that mommy and daddy are giving them the attention they deserve.
So, the next time you have an open Friday or Saturday evening, plan something fun and simple for your family. There’s lots to gain from it and laughs that turn into memories!
BMWK, when was the last time you had family fun night?