Stains and rips and runs oh my! We’ve all had our fair share of fashion emergencies but never fear, The Style Medic is here! I’m going to arm you with some genius tips and tricks to keep you looking pulled together during even the worst wardrobe malfunction.
1. Remove deodorant ‘stripes’ from your shirt by rubbing with a dryer sheet or pantyhose.
2. Remove yellow stains from white shirts with a mixture of dish detergent and peroxide. I promise you this little concoction removes even the oldest stains. Just mix equal parts detergent and peroxide and let sit for a while before you toss it in the wash. I’ve only used dawn (the blue one) but I’m sure other brands will work just fine.
3. Did you know that the average person only wears 20% of the clothes they own? Keep track of which clothes you never wear by turning all your hangers to face you, and when you wear an item, hang it back up with the hanger facing the opposite direction. At the end of the season, toss the clothes that are still hanging face forward.
4. Use baby powder to remove oil stains from clothes
5. Sanitize items you can’t throw in the wash with a 1:2 mixture of vodka and water or make your own febreeze with a mixture of fabric softener, baking soda and hot water.
6. Remove fuzz or pilling from sweaters with a shaver or pumice stone
7. Break in new shoes with a hairdryer! Make sure you put on some thick socks, then, using medium heat, direct the flow to that snug areas. Wiggle your toes and strut around a bit to loosen them up.
8. Spray your tights/pantyhose with hairspray to avoid runs; If you do get a run, stop it in it’s tracks with a dab of clear nail polish
9. Use a glass cleaner like Windex to remove stains from patent leather
10. No time to try on jeans at the store? Placing the waistline of the jeans around your neck (like a choker) to check the fit without trying them on.
11. Turn a regular bra into a racer-back or just keep the straps from slipping by using a large safety pin to connect them in the middle.
BMWK, What are your go to fashion tricks?