While recently watching my favorite news program, my ears perked up when the teaser for the next segment before a commercial break featured the “best airfare secrets strategy.” Strategy? Do tell I thought, do tell! The experts did share some interesting tips in this strategy, and I thought I would share them with our favorite travelers,You!
Here are the “Best Airfare Secret Strategy” Tips:
- Begin your search asap! Start searching for your airfare 3 months before your travel date. The previous train of thought was at least 21 days before for a great airfare rate. Experts now suggest 3 months to save 40-50%. The ‘perfect moment’ to purchase your ticket is Tuesday @ 3pm! Why? This is the time immediately after airlines have cut fares and competitors are matching prices on 20,000+ flights. Visit farecompare.com to search available flights quickly.
- Fly on one of the cheapest days. The cheapest days to travel are Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday. Few people want to travel on these days and even fewer business travelers are flying. Airlines still have to fill their planes so they offer great deals on these days.
- Forget buying tickets 7 days before traveling. At all costs avoid buying a ticket 7 days before you leave. Why? You will be competing against business travelers who will and can pay top dollar for an airline ticket.
- Fly hungry or grab lunch at the gate. Experts actually suggest that you fly before breakfast or during lunch or dinner when the planes are less full. Your fellow travelers are too busy enjoying their favorite foods to board that flight. lol
- Stay one more day. Whether it’s at home or on vacation, stay an additional day and do not fly on Sunday. It is the most expensive day to fly because vacationers want/need to get back home and business travelers want to be fresh and prepared for their Monday meetings.
We want you to travel but we also want you to get the best price for your travel dollars, so don’t procrastinate…book your flights, especially your holiday flights now!
BMWK: Do you have any flying tips you want to share?