With the Braxtons and Sinbad both debuting their reality shows last week, it got me thinking about the shows I’d REALLY like to see, but probably won’t. I know super successful couples (both in their work life and home life) generally have no interest in opening up their homes to the world and inviting the super critical eye of America into their living rooms (and bedrooms). Most of them are too busy maintaining a home and raising their kids to be bothered with camera crews, interviews, and the constant scrutiny of the media and viewers.
But even with all that, there are a few couples I’d love to see on their own reality show. With shows like Basketball Wives or Real Housewives of ATL, I feel like there needs to be a balance – and who better to provide one?
1) Denzel and Pauletta. Everyone knows how much I love this couple. They are the epitome of Hollywood royalty, yet I don’t think I’ve heard more than a peep about their marriage. They look fly together on the red carpet but how do they make it work in their day-to-day life?
2) Beyonce and Jay-Z. So many people are still hating calling their marriage a business arrangement. But I saw Beyonce’s “I Am…World Tour” DVD and the excitement in Bey’s face when she was counting down the days until she saw her boo. That love is real. I’d love to see a quick glimpse into their life, as they are two of the hardest working folks in show biz. How do they manage to stay connect between recording sessions, tours, performances, etc?
3) Angela Bassett and Courtney B. Vance. Love these two ever since I read their book, “Friends: A Love Story” a few years back. I feel their love is genuine and would love to see more of their lives.
4) Tamia and Grant Hill. Not that this means anything, but when pressed about which NBA husband was most likely to be faithful to his wife, Shaunie O’Neal named Grant Hill at the top of the list. Like I said, who cares about what she thinks, but the all-around feeling about Grant Hill is that he’s a great guy. With his wife’s MS and their young kids, how do they make it work? I’d tune in weekly for that one.
5) Chris Rock and Malaak Compton-Rock. I would hope that Chris Rock is as funny in real life as he is onstage and in movies, but who knows? All I know is it would be awesome to see more of his wife, Malaak, as she continues to prove herself a very active philanthropist.
6) Lamar and Ronnie Tyler. I’m only halfway joking with this one. But BMWK family, wouldn’t it be dope to see how the Tylers work and operate? Four kids, new-ish move to Georgia, three (and counting) films, cross-country travel – and they STILL have time for romance? I’d be sitting in front of the TV (or computer…’cause you know that’s how they roll) with a notepad and pen, nudging my husband in the ribs saying, “Honey…Honey! Do you see that? We should try that.”
This is all in fun – any couples you would like to see?
Tara Pringle Jefferson is a freelance writer, blogger and PR professional living in Ohio with her husband and two kids. She’s also Managing Editor of BlackAndMarriedWithKids.com. Follow her on Twitter or check out her blog for her insights on what it means to be a mom, wife, student, writer, and about three other labels she’s too tired to remember.