When I’m working with clients to get their wardrobe in shape, the question that I’m asked the most is:
“What are some key pieces I should ALWAYS have in my closet?”
The following is a list of some all-season workhorse items that you should absolutely have in your style arsenal. These are classic items that will outlive trends and can easily multitask. Use these as your base and add personality and interest with trendier pieces that speak to your style.
- White T-shirt and a Black T-shirt: Because white tees tend to yellow after a while don’t worry about investing too much on this basic.
- White button-down shirt: Your shirt should be fitted, not tight. If the buttons are pulling go a size up. You could also have a loose fitting shirt tailored for the perfect fit.
- A thin sweater: A thin knit can be layered over a button down or other item. Choose the best neckline for your shape and style.
- Cardigan: One of my wardrobe faves (I won’t even talk about how many I have). Choose neutral shades that you can quickly throw on over just about anything.
- Blazer: Instantly add polish to jeans and a tee or pull together a pencil skirt and pumps.
- Pencil skirt: This style is flattering on almost everyone and the knee length and figure grazing fit give off a professional but sexy vibe.
- Black dress: We’ve all heard that every woman should own a little black dress. Well, it doesn’t necessarily have to be little, but a basic black dress can be a style lifesaver in a pinch.
- Jeans: The most basic of basics. Jeans can be dressed up (a dark rinse flare) or down (destructed boyfriend style) and only get more comfortable with time. It’s best to invest in a pair (or 2, or 10) with a little stretch.
- Black pants: Black pants can go with just about anything else in your wardrobe.
- Black pumps: This is one of the areas where it’s better to splurge than to save. Black pumps work with jeans or skirts, dressy or casual. Think of a good black pump as an investment piece.
BMWK: What say you? What are your wardrobe must haves? What would you add to the list?