There’s always a story on the news about an adult being put off a flight for unruly behavior, a negative tweet about the airline (yes a passenger was put off a JetBlue flight over her negative tweet about the counter rep) or doing something stupid like shouting (after sneezing) “I have Ebola!” Yes, that happened recently as well. We are also seeing stories about families being escorted off planes because they can’t control their unruly children. One couple was even arrested, yes arrested, when the plane landed at the connecting city. Airlines are not playing!
Here are a few tips to help keep your little flyers happy and the family on the plane…
- Bring a bag of tricks! In your carry-on bag bring an assortment of coloring books, crayons, toys, games, activities and snacks. Activity time equals quiet time.
- Tire them out. If time allows, some experts even suggest letting your kids play at home before you leave for the airport but keep them awake during the ride to the airport. Let play time continue while waiting at the gate. By the time they get in their seats, they will be worn out and fall asleep. Touchdown!
- No sugar! Forget the sugary snacks and drinks before takeoff. You’re asking for a meltdown if they are hyped up on sugar.
- Gift the kids a new toy. Kids are more likely not to act out if they are pre-occupied with a fabulous new toy that you’ve given them right after takeoff.
- In-flight entertainment. Everyone is calm while watching their favorite TV shows/movies. Download your kid’s favorite TV shows and movies on your tablet. Let them watch all they want, it will help keep them quiet and everybody happy.
I think it’s totally wrong for parents to be arrested because they can’t quiet their 2 or 3 year old who doesn’t understand why their ears are popping during a flight. If it’s a prolonged episode before takeoff, put the family off the plane maybe, arresting the parents is going too far. Bring back kids-free sections or explore other options, but we as a traveling society have to find a happy medium.
BMWK family what do you think, should parents be arrested because they can’t control their kids in–flight?
What are your favorite ways to keep the toddlers happy in-flight?