On a recent episode of The Steve Harvey Show, he interviewed a couple who had been married for 82 years. The husband was 103 and his wife was 100 years old. Even though they were centenarians, their chemistry was still so palpable. He had courted her for three months before they got married and 82 years later, they were still going strong. It was a refreshing conversation to listen to. And, it got me thinking. They got married during a time when fancy wedding ceremonies weren’t a thing. In fact, when advising a young couple in the audience who’d been engaged for five years because the woman wanted a big wedding, the husband said: “you don’t need to have a big wedding, just go on and get married.” Any couple that lasts 82 plus years is bound to have marriage quotes to live by.
20 Marriage Quotes for a Lifelong Marriage Beyond the Wedding
In this article:
Eighty-two Years and Counting
For 82 years, Mr. DW and Ms. Willie stayed true to their union despite being married at a young age. At 19, he had found the woman he would spend the rest of his life with. When you have found the person that matters most, everything else matters less. These days, couples walk away so easily from relationships because other things matter more than the work of their union. Steve asked them for advice about how to make a marriage last. Here are three things Ms. Willie had to say:
- “Be nice to each other.”
- “Just sit down and talk things over.”
- “Get a good understanding of what you’re doing and where you’re going.”
Mr. DW, of course, agreed with her. These days, couples are going into debt to get married only to get divorced for a number of reasons including financial difficulties. Yet, there are simple truths that can keep your relationship lasting a lifetime if the relationship matters more than the wedding.
20 Marriage Quotes that take you beyond the wedding
- A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
- Happy marriages begin when we marry the ones we love, and they blossom when we love the ones we marry.
- A good marriage is a contest of generosity.
- To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.
- What God has joined together, let no one separate.
- The more you invest in a marriage, the more valuable it becomes.
- Love is quick to apologize and fast to forgive.
- We love because He first loved us.
- Never talk bad about your spouse to another person. This minimizes your spouses’ integrity and takes away from your character.
- Choose to love each other, even in those moments when you struggle to like each other. Love is a commitment, not a feeling.
- A happy marriage looks to the future, not the past.
- A husband can love his wife best when he loves God first.
- A perfect marriage is just two imperfect people who refuse to give up on each other.
- Marriage is not a noun; it’s a verb. It isn’t something you get. It’s something you do. It’s the way you love your partner every day.
- Marriage is a journey – it’s hills and it’s valleys.
- Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash.
- Love at first sight is easy to understand; it’s when two people have been looking at each other for a lifetime that it becomes a miracle.
- Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
There is a miracle in finding the kind of love that makes a marriage last for more than 82 years. By taking these marriage quotes to heart, your miracle is bound to happen.
BMWK, what are some of your favorite marriage quotes?