So many of us look for others to show us the same love that we have yet to show ourselves. But how can someone love you more than you love yourself? I’ve learned that you will always attract to yourself who you are. So if you want to attract the right people into your life who will appreciate you, you’ve got to show yourself some appreciation. Here are a few easy ways to start:
- Sleep. How many times have you told yourself that you need to slow down and get some rest? Sometimes running without rest is an ego thing — we either think the world will fall apart without us, or we don’t want to appear lazy to others. Unless you fill your gas tank, it’s impossible to give the best of yourself anyone else. Get some sleep.
- Be Still. How can you be clear about anything when you are in constant motion, allowing thoughts to zoom in and out of your mind? Not only does that cause unnecessary stress, it also causes you to make decisions out of anxiety instead of a place of clarity. Find time to be still so you can hear what your spirit is trying to tell you.
- Pray for yourself. We’re always so busy praying for others’ success, healing, peace, abundance, etc., that we sometimes forget to pray for ourselves. In your daily prayers, don’t forget to say a prayer for you.
- Say NO (without feeling guilty). Do you find yourself doing things out of obligation, when you’re already exhausted, or just not feeling whatever it is you said yes to? Learning to say no is one of the best things you can ever do for yourself because it frees you up to do the things you really want to do.
- Indulge yourself. In the past, I found it hard to indulge myself because it was considered selfish. But, I’ve learned that it’s important to recharge more often so that I can be a better person for the people that matter in my life. So go ahead and get that massage, or spa treatment, or extra 30 minutes just for you to do…whatever.
- Laugh. I’m not sure what happens when we get older, but for some reason we think that laughing is something that only happens on occasion as opposed to something that should be a part of every day. I always feel better after a good laugh. And besides, it’s a good ab workout. So go ahead, make like Pharrell and be happy!
- Exercise. I can’t say enough about this one. I’ve noticed that I always have a clearer head after my morning workout. And feel more prepared to tackle whatever I have on my plate. This is why my gym membership has now become a necessity as opposed to an indulgence. It’s time that I invest in myself.
- Engage in positive self talk. There are so many negative influences in our lives that can cause us to doubt ourselves, our gifts, and our skills, that you have to learn to let your voice be the loudest. It may seem strange at first, but telling yourself out loud that you’re beautiful, brilliant and capable of whatever you put your mind to is a powerful thing. Try it, and see for yourself.
- Seek out and spend time with positive people. You know that saying that birds of a feather flock together? Well, if you want to show yourself some love, you need to pay more attention to the people you allow in your inner circle (both in the physical and virtual worlds). If you often find yourself with a negative mindset more than you do with a happy, healthy one, pay attention to who you’re spending time with. That will give you a clue as to whether it’s time to purge your friends list.
BMWK – Take a minute to love on yourself today. Your future self will thank you for it—and so will the people who have to be around you.